Php help

rpcob

Hello,

I don't know what I'm looking for otherwise i would have already searched.  I have a site with events that are updated weekly on the main page. I am looking to link the events on the main page to a page with info on that event. On the page i have an iframe. How can i set it up to where the right iframe opens on the page depending on the event they click on from the main page.  Or not even use iframes at all and just have it all on the page and have the information show depening on the php id.

Thank you. I know nothing about php. Just how to manipulate exisitng code.

Then you will need to learn PHP or some other server-side language. Basically you want to create a page that will get the details of the selected item and output it in a predefined format. You could pass the id of the item on the URL like this:

http://mysite.com/getEvent.php?eventID=3

So, when you display the page with all the events listed use the PHP code to create a link for each one with the appropriate ID number.

There's more to it than that, of course, but too much to try and explain in a forum post. It's not an exceptionally hard project, though. Start by creating a hard coded page with how the details will be displayed. Then modify the page to get the details from the database and populate the information.

Here's a very rough draft.

<?php

$eventID = (int) $_GET['eventID'];

$query = "SELECT * FROM events WHERE id='{$eventID}'";
$result = mysql_query($query) or die(mysql_error());
if (mysql_num_rows($result)==0)
{
    die("No event matches the id '{$eventID}'");
}

$event = mysql_fetch_assoc($result);

?>
<html>
<head>
  <title>Event Details</title>
</head>
<body>
<h1>Event name: <?php echo $event['name']; ?></h1>
<br>
Date: <?php echo $event['date']; ?>
Time: <?php echo $event['time']; ?>
<br>
Description: <?php echo $event['description']; ?>
</body>
</html>

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.