UPDATE/SET - cronjob, stored procedure? Question

Hitch54

Hi: 

I hope you'll bear with me through this post, I really need the help.  I use MySql 5.0 and PHP5. 

I have a table that needs updating. I use a classifieds cms that doesn't provide a mechanism to allow users to pick a time for their ad to run during ad creation, only a mechanism to extend the ad near the expiration date.  So, I have created a field with a drop-down selection box.  I want to run a MySql query (UPDATE, SET) to perform this function automatically in a cronjob.  That's the background. 

Now, these queries, individually, work:

UPDATE noah_item SET expirationtime=DATE_ADD(expirationtime, INTERVAL 7 DAY) WHERE col_34 = 'Extend 7 days...$5.00'; 
UPDATE noah_item SET expirationtime=DATE_ADD(expirationtime, INTERVAL 14 DAY) WHERE col_34 = 'Extend 14 days...$10.00'; 
UPDATE noah_item SET expirationtime=DATE_ADD(expirationtime, INTERVAL 21 DAY) WHERE col_34 = 'Extend 21 days...$15.00';

I also need to wipe col_34 clean of any data (which I don't know how to do at all) AFTER these queries have been performed, which I would need to do several times a day up to hourly. So, I tried to create a cronjob which looked like this:

<?php 
$con = mysql_connect("localuser","username","pwd"); 
if (!$con) 
{ 
die('Could not connect: ' . mysql_error()); 
} 

mysql_query("UPDATE noah_item SET expirationtime=DATE_ADD(expirationtime, INTERVAL 7 DAY) WHERE col_34 = 'Extend 7 days...$5.00'"); 
mysql_query("UPDATE noah_item SET expirationtime=DATE_ADD(expirationtime, INTERVAL 14 DAY) WHERE col_34 = 'Extend 14 days...$10.00'"); 
mysql_query("UPDATE noah_item SET expirationtime=DATE_ADD(expirationtime, INTERVAL 21 DAY) WHERE col_34 = 'Extend 21 days...$15.00'"); 

mysql_close($con); 
?> 

This did not work. The cronjob executes,it connects to the db okay, but nothing occurs whatsoever. So then, with the help of a friend with a lot more MySql expertise than I, we tried to construct a procedure which looked like this:

DROP PROCEDURE if exists `Procedurename` $$ 
CREATE PROCEDURE `Procedurename` () 
BEGIN 
DECLARE error BOOLEAN DEFAULT FALSE; 
DECLARE CONTINUE HANDLER FOR SQLEXCEPTION SET error = TRUE; 
UPDATE noah_item SET expirationtime=DATE_ADD(expirationtime, INTERVAL 7 DAY) WHERE col_34 = 'Extend 7 days...$5.00'; 
UPDATE noah_item SET expirationtime=DATE_ADD(expirationtime, INTERVAL 14 DAY) WHERE col_34 = 'Extend 14 days...$10.00'; 
UPDATE noah_item SET expirationtime=DATE_ADD(expirationtime, INTERVAL 21 DAY) WHERE col_34 = 'Extend 21 days...$15.00'; 
IF error THEN 
SELECT 'UPDATE failed'; 
END IF; 
END 

Which I then tried to call from within a cronjob, which looked like this:

<?php 
$con = mysql_connect("localhost","user","password"); 
if (!$con) 
{ 
die('Could not connect: ' . mysql_error()); 
} 

mysql_select_db("yourdatabase", $con); 

mysql_query("CALL Procedurename()"); 

mysql_close($con); 
?> 

Which, unhappily, ALSO did not work.

So, other than manually running these queries each every hour, and manually deleting the contents of col_34 every hour, I have reached the end of my ability to figure this out. If anyone could point out to me what I'm doing wrong, I would be grateful. I run other cronjobs (to a different db on the same server), so the initial connection isn't the problem; it seems to be that while the cronjob connects to the db, nothing happens at that point; no error is returned, nada.

Any pointers on how to add a query to delete the contents of col_34 as well, after the contents of expirationtime are updated, would be very much appreciated.

Thank you for your patience in reading this to the end.

Hitch54

Its possible its blowing up in the query itself for some reason.  Situations like that where you cant figure out WHY its not working, I try to stick with php's OR statements as much as possible.

mysql_query($some_query) OR die("there was an error in the query:\n$some_query\nMySql Said: " . mysql_error() . mysql_errno() );

Alternatively, if you dont want to kill the script, you could try error_log(mysql_error()) also.

Alternatively, yet again, mysql will return FALSE if the query didnt run or there was an error, so you can also do something like:

$some_query = "UPDATE something SET something = 'something' WHERE some_id = '$real_id' LIMIT 1";

if (!mysql_query($some_query))

{

error_log("Some Error Text" . mysql_error());

}

Its pretty simple logic, but what you gotta do is write your code so no matter what, you can figure out what happened.  90% of programming is setting up your code so no matter what happens in your code, you have a way to find out what its doing and why its doing what it is doing.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.