My PC is sad today, seems so... blue

ozestretch

blue screen o'death

STOP: x000021a {fatal System Error}

The Windows Logon Process system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0x00000402 (0x00000000 0x00000000).

The system has been shutdown.

This whilst running windows install (once format hdd, copy files and restart windows to begin install....) it gets all sad on me and a little blue.

Suggestions as to what the error means is appreciated)

Have you used this CD before to install XP on another computer?

If so,

1. Check the MBR of the Hard Drive. 

2. Get a memory checker and check the ram for faults.

Did you have issues with this computer before that you are reinstalling windows, or is it a new PC, that has never had an OS on it?

Have you used this CD before to install XP on another computer?

yes

1. Check the MBR of the Hard Drive. 

Ran a tool that repaired this, but I now am trying on a different HDD

2. Get a memory checker and check the ram for faults.

Will try 1 stick at a time (4 in use at moment)

Did you have issues with this computer before that you are reinstalling windows, or is it a new PC, that has never had an OS on it?

Old computer, hard drive issues with MBR, but as mentioned, trying on different HDD

Will let you know if ram tests go ok or not

Also, I seem to be getting a new bluey (I changed nothing, just persisted in continuing the install) this error shows when logon bluey does not

The video driver failed to initialize.....

Basically, I sorted this out. Somewhere in my SATA hdd, I can only assume the MBR, was defected/corrupt.

Even though I ran many different MBR utils to correct this, it only changed errors that occurred.

In my drawer I have a 60gb IDE with a clone of a different machine build with SP3 PRO installed.... I thought... well if it is the main SATA HDD that is causing this, try this one that works.

So I installed it, turned the pc on... I forgot to boot from dvd... and windows started up... like, literally, it fired up and gave me a desktop and all... 20 minutes later and multiple "omg another new hardware found" messages it was running.

1) A HDD with an OS that was from a totally different machine build... chipset and all (heck one was single core the other dual core, one agp the other pcie etc..) should not start on a machine that is no where near alike.. right? (well it did)

I then cloned that HDD onto my original (broken~) SATA HDD (well on to a partition of it anyways) and booted up with that, fine.

2) So SATA HDD MBR was not the issue?

I then put the aforementioned 60gb IDE in and booted with same disc to install windows (it succeeded first go)

So I then cloned that to original SATA HDD and started it fine.. a few hours later of reinstalling what I need, getting my configs right etc and tweaking what I wanted and didn't, is working with same hardware as I had issue with.

A long way to overcome the issue... but what was the issue?

edit: and memtest86 passed all modules

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.