[SOLVED] html table created wrong due to $i

rockon

Hi all,

I'm a beginner when it comes to PHP. I'm editing a pre-made script I purchased to theme it to my liking but I have run in to a problem.

It's a lyric website and I want A - B - C - D etc etc going across the top but the way it's coded makes the A have a <tr> of it's own.

Here's the code:

<table width="790px" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0">
				<?php
				  $head_letters = array('A', 'B', 'C', 'D', 'E', 'F', 'G', 'H', 'I', 'J', 'K', 'L', 'N', 'M', 'O', 'P', 'Q', 'R', 'S', 'T', 'U', 'V', 'W', 'X', 'Y', 'Z');
					$i = 0;
					while($i < COUNT($head_letters)){
						if(($i % 100) == 0) echo "<tr>";
						echo "<td align='center'";
						if(strlen($head_letters[$i]) > 0) echo " style='cursor:pointer;'";
						echo "><a href=\"browse-$head_letters[$i]_page-0.html\" class='menualpha'><b>$head_letters[$i]</b></a></td>";
						if(($i % 100) == 0) echo "</tr>";
						$i++;
					}
				?>
				</table>

The site is:

www.megalyrics.net

and the demo log in is:

username: test

password: test

any ideas why the letter A is being put in its own <tr> ??

Hope someone can help!

The site won't load for me, but it doesn't matter.

The reason that A is being put inside of it's own row is because the two conditionals ($i % 100) == 0 are only being fired when $i = 0. If you want to make them all be inside one <tr>, you should remove that from the loop.

I don't see the point of if(strlen($head_letters[$i]) > 0) because that would only evaluate to true if one of the elements in $head_letters is empty, which since that array is hard-coded shouldn't be a problem.

Try:

echo '<tr>';
for($i = 0;$i < count($head_letters);$i++)
echo "<td align='center' style='cursor:pointer;'><a href=\"browse-{$head_letters[$i]}_page-0.html\" class='menualpha'><b>{$head_letters[$i]}</b></a></td>";
echo '</tr>';

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.