Data to Text Area

zenix

Hello, I am trying to learn php and mysql, and making pretty good progress. I've developed a database for a make believe company and have it working correctly. I thought it'd be neat to have the data (such as last name, first name and phone) appear in a text area at the top or bottom of the form that I use to enter/modify and view my data. I'd like to make it so I can click on an entry in the text area and have the fields of the form populate with the relevant data.

Someone mentioned I should use a drop down. I've tried this, I get the info into the drop down alright, but don't know how to go about making the data clickable so the info. fills out the form on the page. I think I'd really prefer a scrolling text area though, but when I try THIS approach I keep getting an error stating that the ...mysql_fetch_array ($result) is not a valid MySQL entry.

If someone could help me out, I'd really appreciate it. I've learned a lot this year, apparently I have quite a ways to go.

Here is the code I have for the drop down.

<?php

include("connect.php");

$result = mysql_query("SELECT lname, fname, phone FROM warrantydb ORDER BY lname ASC"); 

echo "<select name=\"DropData\">";

while($row = mysql_fetch_array( $result )) 
{
      //I figure there is a more refined way of doing this, but this works for me. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
        $Data=$row['lname'];
$Data2=$row['fname'];
$Data3=$row['phone'];

echo "<option>$Data $Data2 $Data3</option>";
}

echo "</select>";
?> 

You need to some way add an identifier into the options. If you have an "id" field in the warrantydb table you can modify your query for this:

SELECT id,lname, fname, phone FROM warrantydb ORDER BY lname ASC

Now assign this into a variable:

$id=$row['id'];

Now, when you add the options, use this line:

echo "<option value=\"$id\">$Data $Data2 $Data3</option>";

Now read the id field...

$warrantyid=$_POST['DropData'];

GET:

$warrantyid=$_GET['DropData'];

I appreciate all your time and assistance on this, thank you. I tried your example and although it allows me to select an option from the drop down, I don't know how to get all the data associated with this person to be displayed in the form. I have the form all set up and working well, it includes address, address2 city, state and zip, is there a way to have this information populated in the correct fields for the person chosen?

Thank you so much again!!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.