preg_match IP Address

SchweppesAle

Hi, I'm trying to use preg_match in order to compare a visiting user's IP to those within our database. 

The current format I'm using is pretty much just

$IP = $row['IP'];
preg_match("/$IP/", $User_IP);

except it's run through a loop statement

Anyway, it's returning the following error message, I figured it might be the periods within the IP String

Warning: preg_match() [function.preg-match]: Unknown modifier

My REGEX can be pretty weak  :wtf:

"SELECT * FROM table WHERE `IP` = '{$IP}'"

run that query you'll get results which have the same IP as $IP, however.. this is not a very good method to use to extend sessions, store the session id in its own field, then when a user logs in.. read his row's data, and start the session with the old id so that php doesn't start a completely new session :) its quite easy

"SELECT * FROM table WHERE `IP` = '{$IP}'"

run that query you'll get results which have the same IP as $IP, however.. this is not a very good method to use to extend sessions, store the session id in its own field, then when a user logs in.. read his row's data, and start the session with the old id so that php doesn't start a completely new session :) its quite easy

That's actually a really good idea.  Unfortunately, some of our IP fields have a few extra characters in them.  Does this method look for an exact match or does it check substrings as well? 

Example

"UA 192.168.1.1"

I'd like to check and see if this string contains a sub-string "192.168.1.1"

Thanks

I was hoping to cache the resulting query too.

Cache what part of it, for how long, and for what purpose?

If you have hundreds of entries that are dynamically being added/deleted, you would be better off executing a query when needed.

I have a list of IP and User agents stored within our database.  The data is unchanging unless we decide to make an additional entry.  Rather than query the database every time a page is requested I thought that I could improve performance by caching the results. 

require_once("flex_extension.php");

$user_agent = $_SERVER['HTTP_USER_AGENT'];		
$ip_address = $ip;	

$cache = & JFactory::getCache('callback' );
$result_filter = $cache->get( array( 'flex_extension', 'query' ));

//boolean value will represent whether or not the visitor is a bot or human
$Bot_Test  = FALSE;

while($row = mysql_fetch_array($result_filter))
{
$IP_UA = $row['IP/UA'];
if((preg_match("/$IP_UA/", $ip_address) != 0) ||(preg_match("/$IP_UA/", $user_agent) != 0))
{
		$Bot_Test = TRUE;
}
}

flex_extension.php

class flex_extension{

public static function query()
{
	$query_filter = "SELECT * FROM jos_keyword_filter";
	$result_filter = mysql_query($query_filter);

return $result_filter;
}

}

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.