[SOLVED] Checking a file type and extention from an array.

BandonRandon

Hello,

I would like to check a file upload image type and extension to make sure it's one that is in my array of "allowed types" Here is the code that I'm currently using which halfway works. Right now the problem is it's trying to make sure the file is ALL of the image types and extensions which isn't ever gonna be the case. I guess maybe I need to find a way to say if it's one of these then stop and return true else return false. Someone suggested "!in_array" but i think this will only check either the type or the extension not both.

$upload_project_thum = strtolower($_FILES['upload_project_thum']['name']);
$upload_project_thum_ext = substr($upload_project_thum, strrpos($upload_project_thum, '.') + 1);    
$upload_permitted_types= array('image/jpeg:jpg','image/pjpeg:jpg','image/gif:gif','image/png:png');

foreach ($upload_permitted_types as $image_type) {
        $type = explode(":", $image_type);
                if (($type[0] != $_FILES['upload_project_thum']['type']) &&  ($upload_project_thum_ext != $type[1]) ) {
                        $errmsg_arr[] = 'Please select a jpg, jpeg, gif, or png image to use as the project thumbnail';
                        $errflag = true;
        }

Any help would be great thanks!

Thanks for your help. Someone on stacked overflow suggested a solution that works which is simply to use in_array then make sure it matches both parameters.

if( !in_array( $_FILES['upload_project_thum']['type'] . ':' . $upload_project_thum_ext, $upload_permitted_types) ) {
                     $errmsg_arr[] = 'Please select a jpg, jpeg, gif, or png image to use as the project thumbnail';
                        $errflag = true;
}

As always in programing there is more than one way to skin a cat. Thanks for your help!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.