link issues

johnh2009

Introductions 1st :)  Hi all im john, im very new to PHP.  I made a fansite for F1 sim racing a few years ago but didnt carry it on, now im reteaching myself but its not going too well.

I woul dbe very grateful for any help anyone can give

I made a website for my F1 simracing a while back, anyway the linking i used is no longer working.

i use this link:

echo “”. $shownews .”…….Read More“;

the url address has the id in it ie: news.php?nid=13

and the news page has the following in it:

$kysely = mysql_query(”select * FROM igpcnews WHERE id=’$nid’”,$yhteys);

but i always get

Notice: Undefined variable: nid in C:\wamp\www\site\news.php on line 41

This used to work a few years ago, im guessing the newer PHP dont work the same as the older because i dont know whats up with it.

Can anyone help??

I'm guessing you were relying on the register_globals setting being On back then. You access GET variables (the ones set via the URL) with $_GET['name'], so in your case you could simply assign the correct variable to $nid, before using it:

$nid = $_GET['nid'];

This also applies to POST variables (the ones sent via an HTML form), where the value of a text field named name is accessed with $_POST['name'].

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.