Stock Level

zimmo

I have a site set up where customers come in order multiple products in numbers and then place an order. What I am trying to do is reduce the stock levels in the literature table from the results of the ordering table.

The set up I have is.

One table with all products in, there are 20 products in here.

The products table has a field for the stock levels that the client controls. They can adjust this as they see fit via a cms, but I need the levels to adjust as people order.

The orders are stored in a session, the orders table has a qty field in that the user chooses, so say they order 200 items of product A and 150 items of product B. I need to query the database and adjust the stock levels. I am unsure how to do this.

Here is my code so far, which I probably assume is totally incorrect, as nothing is happening. I am no guru.

$sql = "SELECT * FROM orders WHERE sid = '$PHPSESSID' "; 
$sql_result = mysql_query($sql); 
if (mysql_num_rows($sql_result) ==0)
{
header("Location: http://www.*****.co.uk/index.php");
exit;
}
else
{
        $SQL = " UPDATE literature SET stock_level = 'stock_level' - '$qty' WHERE pnumber = '$pnumber' ";

#execute SQL statement
        $result = mysql_db_query( *****,"$SQL",$connection );

# check for error
        if (!$result) { echo("ERROR: " . mysql_error() . "\n$SQL\n");    }
}

I know I have not got this right, just trying to understand how to sort this, have read and read all day long.

First try:

$SQL = " UPDATE literature SET stock_level = stock_level - '$qty' WHERE pnumber = '$pnumber' ";

when you put stock_levels in quotes, it is treated as string, not as column name.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.