Simple Fix, I hope!

stig1

New to using mod_rewrite, but am wondering how this can be stopped, due to, if I can do it, wouldn't search engines be able to do it as well therefore creating duplicate content.

I have a product.php?id=300 that I have used to display products on the site. However, on the site, I have built the link structure to display product/300 which equals to product.php?id=300.

But i can type in my browser, product.php?id=300 and go directly to that page, how do I stop users typing in the actual page address on the server with the parameters?

PS: I also have some sites already indexed in google with the parameters, but need to change them into more user friendly, but when i click on the google link, it does not seem to redirect to the new page with the better urls?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.