Timer

Michdd

I have a shell script using PHP. I would like to do something every X amount of seconds. The only solution that I can think of is putting something within my main (inf) loop to check and see if it has been the amount of time, if so do whatever.

This doesn't seem like it would be the best method, but I can't think of anything else. Would this be okay to do? Or is there a better way?

Of course, but I don't think that would be best for my situation. This shell script is acting as a server, and the operation that I want it to preform periodically has something to do with the data on the server.

I suppose I could use a CRON and connect to my server through the php file run and have my server return the information back to the php file being called by CRON. But that seems unnecessary.

I think you're understanding wrong. I can't use sleep(), because that would halt execution of the shell script.. I need the script to constant run to handle incoming packets and such. I just also want to run something every say... 5 minutes. I know I could do something like this:

while(true)
{
    if($last_update + 60*5 <= time())
    {
         //It has been 5 minutes, 
    }
//Everything else..
}

Is there a better way?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.