[SOLVED] User-Agent header

orange08

i would like to know whether User-Agent header or $_SERVER['HTTP_USER_AGENT'] is consistent enough?

based on the following argument

<?php

session_start();

if (isset($_SESSION['HTTP_USER_AGENT']))
{
    if ($_SESSION['HTTP_USER_AGENT'] != md5($_SERVER['HTTP_USER_AGENT']))
    {
        /* Prompt for password */
        exit;
    }
}
else
{
    $_SESSION['HTTP_USER_AGENT'] = md5($_SERVER['HTTP_USER_AGENT']);
}

?>

Some experts claim that the User-Agent header is not consistent enough to be used in the way described. The argument is that an HTTP proxy in a cluster can modify the User-Agent header inconsistently with other proxies in the same cluster.

The User-Agent header is basically the browsers info (send from client) but can be changed,

Personally I would use HTTP_USER_AGENT as an extra check along with the clients IP, while its true proxies can alter this info, it should remain the same for the duration of the connection, a new connection could to thought another proxy and even if that had the same external IP but changed the User agent then its consider a new connection thus a re-login is required..

as a side note.. i don't see the need to MD5 the HTTP_USER_AGENT if your only keeping it in a session

The User-Agent header is basically the browsers info (send from client) but can be changed,

Personally I would use HTTP_USER_AGENT as an extra check along with the clients IP, while its true proxies can alter this info, it should remain the same for the duration of the connection, a new connection could to thought another proxy and even if that had the same external IP but changed the User agent then its consider a new connection thus a re-login is required..

as a side note.. i don't see the need to MD5 the HTTP_USER_AGENT if your only keeping it in a session

actually, i'm not understand with:

The argument is that an HTTP proxy in a cluster can modify the User-Agent header inconsistently with other proxies in the same cluster.

it meant HTTP_USER_AGENT will changed due to human's action or automatically? i just worry if using this, then the changed of HTTP_USER_AGENT will cause my valid user being affected...

It means some business have X proxies internally and (hence the IP is also the same) but each proxy may handle the USER_AGENT transaction differently, however unless they are set-up badly this shouldn't cause a problem as the it should only switch proxies when either the domain changes(no effect on you then), connection is closed(again no effect), a proxy is overloaded or fails(this is too close to how a session hi-jack would work so i wouldn't worry)

It means some business have X proxies internally and (hence the IP is also the same) but each proxy may handle the USER_AGENT transaction differently, however unless they are set-up badly this shouldn't cause a problem as the it should only switch proxies when either the domain changes(no effect on you then), connection is closed(again no effect), a proxy is overloaded or fails(this is too close to how a session hi-jack would work so i wouldn't worry)

ok, thanks for the explain!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.