Getting Started in MySQL

bluethundr

Hi guys,

I wasn't sure where to post this question and I hope you don't mind posting it here. I am really excited and curious about the power of MySQL (and other databases like Postgress, but I want to get good at MySQL first).

But at the moment I am complete newb! I got interested in this because I built a toy postfix server with a web interface and the how-to I was using happened to use MySQL as a back end. I then started playing with other fun stuff  such as phpbb3 and even found out that you could use MySQL as a back end for proftpd.  I am floored by the depth and breath of MySQL's capabilities and I WANT TO LEARN MORE!!!

I was wondering if you could recommend a good book to get me up to speed in MySQL. Also I want to develop my PHP skills to use as a handy interface to MySQL (I do already know Perl, so my PHP is coming along rather quickly). So I was wondering if you could also recommend a PHP book that would be appropriate for an intermediate programmer.

Thanks!!! :D

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.