What is going wrong here ?

jamesxg1

Here i have a function that is used in my class i use every other function in this class and they work perfectly but this one isn't,

function GetComments() {

$this->commentsql = "SELECT * FROM `comments` WHERE username_to = '$this->username' AND user_id_to = '$this->id'";
        $this->run_commentsql = mysql_query($this->commentsql) or trigger_error('Query failed: ' . mysql_error(), E_USER_ERROR);                                                                            
           return($this->run_commentsql);
}

I have tried putting

while($comment = mysql_fetch_array($new->GetComments()) {
echo $comment['comment'];
}

Iv tried this,

function GetComments() {

$this->commentsql = "SELECT * FROM `comments` WHERE username_to = '$this->username' AND user_id_to = '$this->id'";
        $this->run_commentsql = mysql_query($this->commentsql) or trigger_error('Query failed: ' . mysql_error(), E_USER_ERROR);                                                                            

while($comment = mysql_fetch_array($this->run_commentsql) {

return($comment['comment']);

}

}

Nothing is working at all, Does anyone see any problems ?.

Many thanks,

James.

well, if your query failed, it would give you an error..

this won't work because return leaves the function all together, so you would only get the first result row

return($comment['comment']);

}

you could build an array, and then return that array like so

$arr = array();

$arr[] = $comment['comment'];

}
return $arr;

you really, really should have error_reporting on, 'cause there's no way that script would execute without a closing ')'.

make sure when calling your function, you echo it since you are not returning an item creating by the function, rather an item generated by the function.  in the manner you're using the function, using echo instead of return would suffice.

using return;

echo GetComments();

using echo;

GetComments();

Nope, returns 'Array' when $arr is printed, This is really confusing me here :S.

Anyone have any idea to why this is not working ?.

Many thanks,

James.

um... of course it prints array if you just do

echo $arr.

you cant just print arrays like that. if you want to echo them you have to iterate though each entry...

function GetComments ($this->username, $this->id)
{

while($comment = mysql_fetch_array($this->run_commentsql))
{ $arr[] = $comment['comment']; }

return $arr;
}
print_r ($arr).die;

what happens with that?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.