mySQL and PHP search

m5638829

Hello,

I am trying to code a project and ran into a brick wall with one of my pages. I am pretty new at php/mySQL and can not figure this out. Now I know that you are not going to sit there and type my whole script out for me. That is NOT what I am asking. I need pointers, links to tutorials, or whatever help you can get me. I appreciate it very much!

First off, I am recoding a site I created a little while ago in pure HTML to php. This site is a help wanted site and it has had massive amounts of hits and requests to put up listings. I have the pages to submit a listing, write that to the database, and one to show the results in a raw format. However, I am running into two problems. One is that I want to code the main page to just be a mysql query. This means that I want it to show just the company name and position available, then have a button to click to get the rest of the info about the job listing in a separate pop-up window. I can not seem to find code, tut or anything of the like about this.

Second problem, in my raw data results (plan table showing database contents) I need a link that will remove the entry. I have tried a couple of scripts and messed up my code further. I was wondering if anyone knows of something that describes this is great detail. It is all in a table.

Here is some of my code for the table with the DB contents:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />
<title>View All Job Listings</title>
</head>

<body>
<?php

require 'dbconnect.inc';

mysql_select_db("coushatta", $con);

$result = mysql_query('SELECT * FROM jobs', $con);

echo "<table border='1'>
<tr>
<th>ID</th>
<th>Business Name</th>
<th>Contact Name</th>
<th>Phone Number</th>
<th>Fax Number</th>
<th>Email Address</th>
<th>Position Open</th>
<th>Open</th>
<th>Filled</th>
<th>Closed</th>
<th>Listing Content</th>
<th>Delete?</th>
</tr>";
while($row = mysql_fetch_array($result))
  {
  echo "<tr>";
  echo "<td>" . $row['ID'] . "</td>";
  echo "<td><a href='" . $row['ID'] . ".html'>" . $row['business_name'] . "</a></td>";
  echo "<td>" . $row['contact_name'] . "</td>";
  echo "<td>" . $row['phone_number'] . "</td>";
  echo "<td>" . $row['fax_number'] . "</td>";
  echo "<td>" . $row['email_address'] . "</td>";
  echo "<td>" . $row['position_open'] . "</td>";
  echo "<td>" . $row['learnmore'];

if ( $row['learnmore'] == TRUE ) {
echo "";
} else {
echo "";
}
"</td>";

echo "<td>" . $row['filled'];
  if ( $row['filled'] == TRUE ) {
echo "";
} else {
echo "";
}"</td>";

echo "<td>" . $row['closed'];
  if ( $row['closed'] == TRUE ) {
echo "";
} else {
echo "";
}"</td>";

echo "<td>" . $row['listing_content'] . "</td>";
  echo "</tr>";
  }
echo "</table>";
mysql_close($con);
?>

</body>
</html>

not sure if i get you right.

your 1st problem is more about the presentation of the page? if thats the case you just modify the <td> tags in your script to suit your liking.

as for your second problem, you mean you want to delete a row from the database table? in that case use DELETE FROM tablename WHERE condition. you can search google for mysql delete for more information.

the first problem is that i want the search results to only display two of the 8 fields. when you click on a "learn more" button, another page is opened with all of the fields displayed.

Second problem, I tried with the DELETE FROM tablename WHERE and it just messed it up. i will try again with that. So nevermind that issue.

for your first problem, if you just want to display 2 fields, change your query to this:

$result = mysql_query('SELECT * FROM jobs LIMIT 2', $con);

for your second problem, a simple way to do it is this:

echo "<a href='" . $_SERVER['PHP_SELF'] . "?id=" . $id . "&action=delete'">Delete</a>

This link is supposed to be generated dynamically where the $id value correspond to the row you want deleted.

if your current page is link.php and the $id is 1, then when parsed it will become:

<a href='link.php?id=1&action=delete'>Delete</a>

Your link.php will have to contain this code to process the delete

if($_GET['action'] === 'delete'){
  $query = 'DELETE FROM table WHERE id = $_GET['id'];
  $result = mysql_query($query);
}

I'm not sure if its secure if done this way though.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.