[SOLVED] Access website from only 1 computer...?

xnowandtheworldx

One of my customers wants his website to only be accessed by people in which they bought the website membership from on their computer. He's afraid that the users might share their login's with their colleagues, in which, he loses money. I don't want to base this off of IP's as it's not reliable enough. Is there anything in which I can do to achieve this? Or am I going to have to tell him we have to scrap that idea.

In case it was a little weird to follow along here's an example.

A user comes to the website and buys a membership. He logs in and the membership is set so that they can only log in from that computer. If he attempts to login from another computer, it will flag that account, in which the user has 3 warnings, and then their username is removed.

Sounds like a longshot but i figured I'd ask before I ruled it out. Thanks for any help.

I love this forum...

Tell him that people might have more than one computer. I can log in using my PC, my laptop, my mobile phone...

The way you could go is to look for people logging at the same time onto same account from different IPs. Then just either block such attempts, or log out the one that has logged in as the first (i.e. only one IP can be logged into one account at any given time). This in itself should be inconvenient enough for people to think about sharing their accounts.

Tell him that people might have more than one computer. I can log in using my PC, my laptop, my mobile phone...

The way you could go is to look for people logging at the same time onto same account from different IPs. Then just either block such attempts, or log out the one that has logged in as the first (i.e. only one IP can be logged into one account at any given time). This in itself should be inconvenient enough for people to think about sharing their accounts.

Wow....I can't believe I didn't even think of that, as I'm using that very system on one of my other sites haha! Thanks for reminding me Mchl, I appreciate it! :)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.