Apache Crashing on Loading Large Datasets

moagrius

Hi,

I've got a web app that works fine on 2 different web hosts.  I installed it locally, and for the most part it works fine as well - however, when loading large datasets (from a mysql DB, using PHP), Apache crashes (then restarts immediately).

This is pretty consistent - I can predict which requests will crash Apache and which one's will not.

No errors are logged from PHP or Apache (the error.log does update normally, but not when this happens).

Windows gives the following error details:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: httpd.exe

Application Version: 2.2.11.0

Application Timestamp: 493f5d44

Fault Module Name: php5ts.dll

From the last line, it looks like the problem is with PHP - I checked php.ini for any particularly short timeout directives or script memory allotments, and don't notice anything - any suggestions?

php crashing when doing something that relies on a specific extension generally indicates that you have a mix of files from different php versions. Any chance you updated php but did not update all the files in the php root folder and the ext folder and/or you previously copied some files to the Windows folder but did not also update those?

Thanks for the quick reply.

I've only ever installed one version of PHP on this machine.  I'm only guessing the problem is with PHP because of Fault Module Name - but it's actually Apache that crashes.

The app has several requests that are all very similiar - polling a mysql DB and echoing out the results.  What's strange to me is that all the requests that have "small" data sets returned work fine.  The 2 largest requests (one selecting from a table with 1800 rows, the other from a table with 4000 rows) are the ones that break.  Also strange is that all pages have a limit of 100 rows returned in the sql query.  And, it doesn't appear to be a timeout error - it doesn't hang long at all before crashing - maybe 3-5 seconds.

Possibly should have mentioned - I'm on Vista, Apache 2.2, PHP 5.3, MySQL 5.0.5

Have had the Apache/PHP/SQL installed for at least a few months and never had a problem before.

TYIA

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.