Best Shopping Carts

Bendude14

Can people please share some experiences with shopping cart software they have used in the past. I don't have time to test them all so I am planning on just taking recommendations from here. It can be free or proprietary but it must have the feature to allow me to switch the "Cart" section off, so it simply looks like a catalog or products.

Not sure if that is native to any shopping cart but maybe there is temp plugin i could use to disable prices / checkout etc.

• 3 weeks later...

Never used oscommerce but it's been recommended to me. Make sure you understand what a merchants account before choosing.

Here a useful articles to help you decide:

http://webtecker.com/2008/04/22/8-best-open-source-shopping-cart-solutions/

The bottom of this article links to an explanation of merchants accounts:

http://www.tamingthebeast.net/articles2/shopping-carts.htm

Taking the time to read these will save you a fair bit of hassle. Nothing worse than getting half way through a project and realising you should have done it another way.

• 2 weeks later...

If you don't need a cart, and just a catalog to display items, it's really not hard to create this yourself, especially if a CMS for product management isn't needed. The hardest part of making your own would just be to create the database table(s) for the products.

I've been working on my own shopping cart system lately, Community Cart, and I'm at the point now where I want to make a more elaborate products controller.

I've used osCommerce, and Zen-Cart, and I think the problem with those is that you have to spend a lot of time to customize the product display. That's why I'm suggesting creating your own. If you are going to have to spend a lot of time to make something nice, it might as well be your own code.

• 1 month later...

Well said!

If you don't need a cart, and just a catalog to display items, it's really not hard to create this yourself, especially if a CMS for product management isn't needed. The hardest part of making your own would just be to create the database table(s) for the products.

I've been working on my own shopping cart system lately, Community Cart, and I'm at the point now where I want to make a more elaborate products controller.

I've used osCommerce, and Zen-Cart, and I think the problem with those is that you have to spend a lot of time to customize the product display. That's why I'm suggesting creating your own. If you are going to have to spend a lot of time to make something nice, it might as well be your own code.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.