Sports Website

richie19rich77

Hi All,

Over the summer I took over web development of a Table Tennis league website, I had no knowledge of PHP of HTML but I like programming in C# and VB so thought I would give it a go.

At the start I went with full ajax site, but after being convinced that this is not the way to go I moved towards a header and sidebar with a center iFrame. What you don't get to see which was the hardest part to code, is the divisional secretary login and virtual scorecard entering.

The new site is www.mtttl.co.uk and the old site I took over is www.mtttl.co.uk/old.

I am still learning, so any recomendations would be welcome.

Thanks

the old site was a beaut!  love the dancing "NEW" arrows and the center-aligned text.  no worries, some of my first sites were quite brutal themselves.

your new site is much improved.

i'm not going to go as in-depth as some of these other guys might, however, i noticed no <h1> tag present .. <h1> should match your <title> and be placed near the top of the page .. best bet would be to wrap "Welcome to the Medway Towns Table Tennis (MTTTL) website" with <h1> tags:

<h1>Welcome to the Medway Towns Table Tennis (MTTTL) website</h1>

this is for SEO purposes.  nothing big, but it will help with ranking.

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, you really did it much good; it looks way better than the old one. The only suggestion that i might make (just my opinion), is that you might make the banner image join the content area, and use a very subtle background image to distinguish the content are more from the background.

Looks a ton better than the old one.

My biggest problem with it right now is that you're using at least six different shades of blue. Try consolidating them- the links on the navigation bar and the large text titles should be the color of the blue bar (where about and contact are). Also, having the blue links light up yellow on white just doesn't look good. Try a blue background on rollover with white text.

The header image could use some kind of border, everything else is bordered but that image just runs into the page background.

The Latest Additions and Notice Board are kind of weird with rounded corners since everything else is square. I'd say make them square too.

Division boxes at the bottom have really tiny text, they should probably be larger.

Overall, well made (again, way better than before). Just needs to be cleaned up a bit.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.