[SOLVED] What would be the alternative php placeholder for C++'s cin >> response >>endl;

Modernvox

Um... PHP doesn't have a cin function. You'd need something else. Like this

<?php
echo "<form action=\"\" method=\"post\">
Guess a Word?: <input type=\"text\" name=\"word1\"><br>
<input type=\"submit\" value=\"Guess\">";

if(isset($_POST['word1']))
{
$word1 = $_POST['word1'];
$word2;

echo "<br><br>" . $word1;
}
?>

See, PHP only runs once, so you need to give it the input before you run it. That code gives you a form to enter the input, and once you input it, it sends the input to itself, and checks if the input exists, if so, display it

Um... PHP doesn't have a cin function. You'd need something else. Like this

<?php
echo "<form action=\"\" method=\"post\">
Guess a Word?: <input type=\"text\" name=\"word1\"><br>
<input type=\"submit\" value=\"Guess\">";

if(isset($_POST['word1']))
{
$word1 = $_POST['word1'];
$word2;

echo "<br><br>" . $word1;
}
?>

See, PHP only runs once, so you need to give it the input before you run it. That code gives you a form to enter the input, and once you input it, it sends the input to itself, and checks if the input exists, if so, display it

Create a form just for that?  That stinks!

you have to understand that PHP isn't the same as C++. Input (generally) comes from some sort of HTML form. Like Alex said, PHP does have support for command line input (the equivalent of cin) but generally, this isn't used, as PHP is mostly used for web applications. You can make desktop applications with PHP (assuming you have the interpreter on your computer/server) but PHP really shines when using it for websites.

As far as ease of use, I find PHP much easier to use than C++, especially because  all of PHP's different libraries can be used once they are installed without having to include header files every time.

However, C++ is an incredibly powerful language. Really, picking a language is all about the task at hand. For a desktop application, C++ is definitely the winner, however PHP is much "better" with web applications. By better, I don't necessarily mean more efficient, but easier to use, and more geared towards web applications.

you have to understand that PHP isn't the same as C++. Input (generally) comes from some sort of HTML form. Like Alex said, PHP does have support for command line input (the equivalent of cin) but generally, this isn't used, as PHP is mostly used for web applications. You can make desktop applications with PHP (assuming you have the interpreter on your computer/server) but PHP really shines when using it for websites.

As far as ease of use, I find PHP much easier to use than C++, especially because  all of PHP's different libraries can be used once they are installed without having to include header files every time.

However, C++ is an incredibly powerful language. Really, picking a language is all about the task at hand. For a desktop application, C++ is definitely the winner, however PHP is much "better" with web applications. By better, I don't necessarily mean more efficient, but easier to use, and more geared towards web applications.

I gotta check if I have all the lib's. I really like the flow of C++ where i find php has some weird rules such as double quotes around variables and single quotes around raw text. Things like this confuse the hell out of me.

Well put though!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.