[SOLVED] Help with a concept

herghost

Hi all,

I am wondering how you would make a form with a referral box that autofils if the user has been directed from a page by a referrer.

I am guessing that you would have something like www.mypage.com/myform.php?ref=username

How would I get the username and auto display it in my form field? If I could get it and store it as a variable then how would I avoid an error if no referral is given?

Hope this makes sense

Thanks!

use $_GET['ref']

what error?

He might be referring to the notice thrown if you use an undefined index in the $_GET superglobal, or any variable for that matter, which you might not see depending on your error reporting level. To get around this use isset()

Well say you had in your form

<input name="ref" type="text" value="<?php echo $ref" />

but no ref existed as the user was not referred and is just a browse in user then you would get an error because the variable is undefined would you not? How would you go about avoiding this?

EDIT = too slow!

So using isset, how would you code this?

Something like isset($ref) = true?

Have not used isset before!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.