Blogging System - Permalinks - How?

Raider

Hi there.

I've written up a website using PHP/MySQL which we're using as a blogging platform. All articles (and their information: small description, title, user, etc.) are kept within one table. The system is set up such that you go to index.php?article_id=12 (for example) to read the article whose ID is 12.

However, we've realized that it's probably impossible for search engines to index all these articles (since they're inside the DB) so that we have a higher chance of appearing when someone searches for something relevant. Is there any simple and efficient way of solving this problem?

Thanks in advance :)

Well as my understanding of how Search Engines work, and I could be wrong because it seems the rules in which search engines gather information change day to day.

I don't think it matters that your information is stored in the database, because when the page loads from someone visiting a little spider bot crawls the page and stores the information on that page that was pulled from your database, including the link in its own little database. So I guess if your site is popular enough and is ranked high enough it the search engines database when someone does a search that has relative information to your site it will show up.

Now a lot of what gets stored or noticed by the search engine is based on how you write your html code and what not. I would do some reading on Search Engine Optimization (SEO) and your probably have a better understand of how to code your pages to make it SEO friendly.

Again dont take what I say word for word I'm not an expert on SEO yet but sort of understand whats going on. Hope this helps a bit.

No, when a spider crawls your page, just assume it is the dumbest possible person in the history of people. WHen you have a dynamically generated page, you need some kind of input to get the contents (IE index.php?id=5)

well for spiders, they can't read special characters like that. In fact, the question mark (?) is a stop character for spiders. SO when they read a dynamic link, they don't get to the "juicy" part so to speak. They don't actually read any of the rest of the link. In fact, dynamic pages (to spiders) don't actually exist until a user injects a variable into them (whether that is through a form ,search bar, link, etc.)

read up on this clicky for some more information

I'd disagree with the statement made about '?' is a stop. I'm sure I've read that that it's a thing of the past to do this. Search engines have surely adapted their rules to carry on past '?' what with the boom of blogs and other dynamic sources of information.

Google "25 fancy cartoons" and the first URL to be found is: http://www.dafont.com/theme.php?cat=101&page=2

There's hundreds of pages in Google's rankings that are dynamic.

Yeah you are correct to an extent actually. Sorry I need to brush up on my SEO.

Now a days, spiders have less trouble crawling dynamic URLS, However, using static URLS ( or static looking URLS that are rewritten) are a little better for CTRs, perhaps backlinks, and all that stuff will make your rank higher.

Blog software like Wordpress do make permalinks for a reason :)

however, I may have been a little misleading in my first post. Google IS getting better at reading static urls (as well as Yahoo, and others) however, so you have a point

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.