can a class property be declared using $this?

wizardjoe

Hi all,

I'm working on an open source project and recently came across a piece of code that I found to be ambiguous. The code is a class definition with a constructor that takes one argument, &$db, which is a reference argument to a variable specifying the database connection. The beginning goes like this:

class someClass

{

function someClass(&$db)

{

$this->db = &$db;

}

Note that there isn't an explicit declaration of the class variable $db. However all the functions in this class seem to be able to utilize it, through the expression $this->db = somevalue. So my question is does PHP interpret the $this->db statement as an implicit declaration of the variable $db? Or am I missing something here?

$this->db is shorthand for a property in the class.  So somewhere in the class (probably at the top) you would have:

class someClass
{

// example:
private $db = ''; // that $this->db in the function (method) below points to this $db right here

function someClass(&$db)
{
$this->db = &$db;
}

edit: er..I guess I failed to notice you mentioned it not being present... maybe it's declared somewhere below?  Maybe you can declare it like that...if you can, I guess I'll learn something new here too...

edit2: ...and I just tested, and apparently you can.

edit: er..I guess I failed to notice you mentioned it not being present... maybe it's declared somewhere below?  Maybe you can declare it like that...if you can, I guess I'll learn something new here too...

Yes, you can declare properties like that. It doesn't have anything to do with the referencing.

class someClass
{
public function __construct($str)
{
	$this->str = $str;
}

public function echoStr()
{
	echo $this->str;
}
}
$something = 'hello';
$instance = new someClass($something);
$instance->echoStr();

Would work as well. Or am I misunderstanding the question?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.