display number of places based on region using php

ramyakumar

I m writing a code in mysql using php. I have a database based on world.

CREATE TABLE world (
place    VARCHAR(50) NOT NULL,
region VARCHAR(15) NOT NULL,
distance     VARCHAR(20),
)

I have a code which have particular regions but then I want it to also display number of places based on region. I have written a query which is working but I want it to display region and number of places in that region. How do I do this with my code?

foreach ($regions as $r)
{
echo '<option value="',$r,'">',$r,"</option>";
echo '</select></p>';
}

Please help me.

First of all you may need a number of different tables for the different data types, such as two different tables for regions and places.

Secondly what experience do you have in PHP? Not exactly sure what your intention is with the PHP code, but not only does it not really check out syntax wise, (you need to use a period instead of comma for concatenate) your html will also appear with a </select> tag after every option, meaning no drop down will appear.

Basically, please outline what experience you have, what you are trying to do, and the specific code which is not working. If you are trying to create a very complex application with very limited experience you may want to try something more simple to start off.

I've done something similar but I was using it within a "<ul>" not a dropdown box, try creating a new query within your loop.

SELECT DISTINCT place FROM world WHERE region = $r

run that query then you can use the mysql_num_rows function to count the results of that query, store it in a variable and then output into your "<select>" statement.

something like

echo '<option value="',$r,'">'$r ($count)"</option>";

im new to php myself so there a good change thats not the best way to do it so.... correct, add or dismiss the above as appropriate.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.