Test for URL & FILE

_tina_

Hi,

I have two functions.  One checks if a string is a URL an the other checks for certain file types.

The issue with the one checking for a URL is that, it also thinks that a file is a URL.

function isValidURL(url){ 
	    var RegExp = /^(([\w]+?\/\/)?(([\d\w]|%[a-fA-f\d]{2,2})+([\d\w]|%[a-fA-f\d]{2,2})+)?@)?([\d\w][-\d\w]{0,253}[\d\w]\.)+[\w]{2,4}(:[\d]+)?(\/([-+_~.\d\w]|%[a-fA-f\d]{2,2})*)*(\?(&?([-+_~.\d\w]|%[a-fA-f\d]{2,2})=?)*)?(#([-+_~.\d\w]|%[a-fA-f\d]{2,2})*)?$/; 
	    if(RegExp.test(url)){ 
	        return true; 
	    }else{ 
	        return false; 
	    } 
	}

I nee this to check if it's a URL and ignore files.

Then this one to check for files, it's basically just not working, can anyone see where I'm going wrong on this one?

function checkExt(e) { 
		   value=e.value;
		if( !value.match(/\.(doc)|(jpg)|||(pdf)$/) ){ 
			return true; 
		}
		else { 
			return false;
		}
	}

Thanks in advance :)

if( !value.match(/\.(doc|jpg|pdf)$/) ){

that will only check for those 3 file types though..

Thats what I thought but when I pass in x.pdf, x.doc or x.jpg it doesn't recognize them as being of that file type. 

My main problem though is the first one, is there a way you know of to make it ignore files and just test for URL's?  I can't seem to get the regular expression correct.

Thank you for that.  How exactly would I do that?  My JavaScript isn't very good.

Thanks again.

hmm actually on 2nd look that is gonna evaluate true every time there is a dot in there somewhere.  You will have to assign value.match(..) to a var and then check if variable[1] exists

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.