How to do this ?-captcha after 3 times.

Rommeo

I want my website's members to enter the text(captcha) to the box if they enter their passwords wrong three times.

How can I count the number of failed attempts ? Where should I save the count  ? file ? session ? cookie ? db ? where is the most secure place ?

Thanks in advance

Replace "vote again" an the following link with "continue trying passwords" - http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/index.php/topic,276805.msg1309214.html#msg1309214

The data in the session might be secure but a hacker can drop the current session (thereby clearing the failed login in count) and just keep trying passwords until he finds one that works.

So I think, DB is the best place for to store the count and I think one row is enough.

Should I keep the record of failed-attempt-time ?

Any ideas ?

This is what I would do...

Every time a user has a failed login record their IP and unix time in a table. At the top of your login page do a check for failed logins where the current time - failed login time is less than 900 (15 min in seconds). Then count the rows. If the # is > or = to 3 then show them an error.

very quick example

$oldest_fail_time = date("U") - 900;

$query = mysql_query("SELECT time FROM failed_login WHERE ip = '$ip' AND time > '$oldest_fail_time'");

if ($mysql_num_rows($query) == '3'){
echo '<h1>Hacker Alert!</h1>';
die();
}

Replace "vote again" an the following link with "continue trying passwords" - http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/index.php/topic,276805.msg1309214.html#msg1309214

The data in the session might be secure but a hacker can drop the current session (thereby clearing the failed login in count) and just keep trying passwords until he finds one that works.

May I ask if the user can drop the current session, would this mean like exiting the browser, clearing cookies and such then coming back to the website?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.