Latest Post duplicate help

bgbs

On my homepage I have a list of latest blog posts showing. The first post is the latest one with a big picture, and the older ones go down just as regular posts. Well the problem is, the regular list posts also show the first post, and its a nag for me because it is a duplicate that I wish it would not be there  since it is already showing as the Big Latest Story. How can I modify the code to not to repeat the latest story twice?

This is the code that puls the latest story

<?php $recent = new WP_Query("cat=1&showposts=1"); while($recent->have_posts()) : $recent->the_post();?>
		<h1><a href="<?php the_permalink() ?>" rel="bookmark"><?php the_title(); ?></a></h1>

<?php
		if (function_exists('the_content_limit')) {
		 the_content_limit(195, "<span class='read-more'>Read more »</span>"); 
		 }
		 ?>
		<div style="clear:both;"></div>
		<?php endwhile; ?>

And this is the next code that show the 5 recent stories as regular posts. I would like the first one from that recent list ommitted some how, but I dont know how to do that.

<?php $recent = new WP_Query("cat=1&showposts=5"); while($recent->have_posts()) : $recent->the_post();?>
		<h4><a href="<?php the_permalink() ?>" rel="bookmark"><?php the_title(); ?></a></h4>
		<?php the_content_limit(130, ""); ?>

<div class="hppostmeta">
			<p><?php the_time('F j, Y'); ?> | <a href="<?php the_permalink() ?>" rel="bookmark">Read the story »</a></p>
		</div>

<?php endwhile; ?><br />

How about this?

$recent = new WP_Query("cat=1&showposts=6");
$i = 0;
while($recent->have_posts()) : $recent->the_post();
  if($i == 0){
    echo '<h1><a href="'.php the_permalink().'" rel="bookmark">'.php the_title().'</a></h1>';
    if (function_exists('the_content_limit')){
    }
  }else{
    echo '<h4><a href="'.php the_permalink().'" rel="bookmark">'.the_title().'</a></h4>';
    the_content_limit(130, "")
    echo '<div class="hppostmeta">';
    echo '<p>'.the_time('F j, Y').' | <a href=".'php the_permalink().'" rel="bookmark">Read the story »</a></p>';
    echo '</div>';
  }
echo '<div style="clear:both;"></div>';
$i++
endwhile;

You want me to enclose this whole code in one php bracket?

If I paste your code I get the infamous parse error

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING, expecting ',' or ';' in /home/wasc/public_html/news/wp-content/themes/news/home.php on line 18

yeah that is what I did, but I'm getting the parse error.  line 18 in home.php page is echo <h1>....</h1> line

<?php 
$i = 0;
  if($i == 0){
    echo '<h1><a href="'.php the_permalink().'" rel="bookmark">'.php the_title().'</a></h1>';
    }
  }else{
    echo '<h4><a href="'.php the_permalink().'" rel="bookmark">'.the_title().'</a></h4>';
    echo '<p>'.the_time('F j, Y').' | <a href=".'php the_permalink().'" rel="bookmark">Read the story »</a></p>';
    echo '</div>';
  }
$i++
endwhile; ?>

Sorry about that try it now. 

<?php 
$i = 0;
  if($i == 0){
    echo '<h1><a href="'.the_permalink().'" rel="bookmark">'.the_title().'</a></h1>';
    }
  }else{
    echo '<h4><a href="'.the_permalink().'" rel="bookmark">'.the_title().'</a></h4>';
    echo '<p>'.the_time('F j, Y').' | <a href=".'the_permalink().'" rel="bookmark">Read the story »</a></p>';
    echo '</div>';
  }
$i++
endwhile; ?>

simple SQL query utilizing LIMIT:

<?php
/* get first post; */

#get num posts to show;
$limit = 1;

$sql = "SELECT * FROM `your_table` ORDER BY `your_field` DESC LIMIT {$limit}";

/* get remainging 5 posts; */

#get num posts to show;
$limit = 5;

$sql = "SELECT * FROM `your_table` ORDER BY `your_field` DESC LIMIT 1, {$limit}";
?>

it's all in the query(s);

After adding the semicolon it's getting close, we moved one line down, now the parse error is at line 26 for some reason

echo '<p>'.the_time('F j, Y').' | <a href=".'the_permalink().'" rel="bookmark">Read the story »</a></p>';

<?php 
$i = 0;
  if($i == 0){
    echo '<h1><a href="'.the_permalink().'" rel="bookmark">'.the_title().'</a></h1>';
    }
  }else{
    echo '<h4><a href="'.the_permalink().'" rel="bookmark">'.the_title().'</a></h4>';
    the_content_limit(130, "");
    echo '</div>';
  }
$i++
endwhile; ?>

Well, it rendered without any parse errors  :D

But it's output is wrong. For example:

This supposed to output title only:  But it gives me perma link and then the Title. And when it outputs the title, it disregards all css because of that.

http://wassoc.com/news/2009/11/dell-confirms-android-smart-phone-specs-still-secret/Dell Confirms Android Smart Phone, Specs Still Secret

This is being output correctly

By Charlie Sorre Source: Wired Dell has, at long last, confirmed its intentions to get into the smartphone market. The company’s...

This output is incorrect also.  "Read the story" is the link, but clicking on it doesn't take you to the actual story. It should display date and "Read the Story" link only. But it displays perma link too.

November 14, 2009http://wassoc.com/news/2009/11/dell-confirms-android-smart-phone-specs-still-secret/

| Read the story »

Looks like the function the_permalink() is doing its own echo.  So try it like this.

<?php 
$i = 0;
  if($i == 0){
    echo '<h1><a href="';
    the_permalink();
    echo '" rel="bookmark">'.the_title().'</a></h1>';
    }
  }else{
    echo '<h4><a href="';
    the_permalink();
    echo '" rel="bookmark">'.the_title().'</a></h4>';
    the_content_limit(130, "");
    echo '<p>'.the_time('F j, Y').' | <a href="';
    the_permalink();
    echo '" rel="bookmark">Read the story »</a></p>';
    echo '</div>';
  }
$i++;
endwhile; ?>

did you consider my post at all?  a very, very simple change in the initial query(s) could have solved this mess hours ago.

I did, but I had no idea where to start implementing it.

I'm like the php newb. Do I just put your code in place of all that php code?

did you consider my post at all?  a very, very simple change in the initial query(s) could have solved this mess hours ago.

I did, but I had no idea where to start implementing it.

I'm like the php newb. Do I just put your code in place of all that php code?

no, you would make the changes to the query that is outputting the recent posts.  post your queries here (just the queries), and i'll have a look.

well, it was just a suggestion.  don't sound so defeated.  you're not going to learn PHP in a day, or a week, or a month.  you need patience and the desire to learn.

This makes me wonder now' date=' if I will ever be able to learn php.[/quote']

come on now, i'm not sure how old you are, but that's a very immature comment.  the problem with the world these days (one of a million) is that the feeling of entitlement runs high.  hard work pays off, and anything less is a fluke.

put in the time, and the results will come.

I'm a designer by trade, when it come to php things go down from there.

The problem with php, you dont even know where to start learning it.  Every book starts with useless "hello world" statement, when in the real world you are faced with the database, arrays, and the whole infrastructure problems and equations to deal with.  I dont know if anybody starts learning php with simple php commands,  in the realworld, if you dont grasp the big picture in 10 minutes you are lost in translation.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.