Prevent SQL Injection attacks!

robert_gsfame

I never use mysql_real_escape_string before as i'm still new to php so i always use mysql_query instead of mysql_real_escape_string

Can anyone help me on how to use it?

Is it the same as when using mysql_query

$username=$_SESSION['username'];

$password=$_SESSION['password'];

query = sprintf("SELECT * FROM table1 WHERE username='%s' AND password='%s'",

mysql_real_escape_string($username),

mysql_real_escape_string($password));

$sql=mysql_query($query);

does the code above written correctly? then where should i put mysql_real_escape_string??in all query and when using $_POST and $_GET??

Last question, is mysql_real_escape_string must be connected to get_magic_quotes_gpc(), stripslashes to make my webpage safer??

thanks in advance

yes, that code is correct actually. all mysql_escape_string() does is escape characters that are special in mysql. for example, the ' character is commonly used in sql injections that don't escape it. add_slashes() does a similar thing, but its best to used the functions that were made specially for the database (for example mysql_escape_string() for mysql or pg_escape_string() for postgresql)

magic_quotes_gpc() is a setting in php.ini that, when set to on, automatically escapes all POST and GET data (using addslashes()) this can cause problems when you use mysql_escape_string() or other escaping functions because you can end up double escaping things.

Strip slashes would undo whatever magic_quotes_gpc() does, and you can then apply the arguably better mysql_escape_string() function (if you have a mysql database) to your string. it would be something like so

//magic quotes gpc ON
$data = $_POST['data'];//already escapes
$data = stripslashes($data);//undid escape;
$data = mysql_real_escape_string($data);//better escape
//do whatever

However, when you have magic quotes gpc set to off, you can simply do what you did in your example

$username=$_POST['username'];

$password=$_POST['password'];

query = sprintf("SELECT * FROM table1 WHERE username='%s' AND password='%s'",

mysql_real_escape_string($username),

mysql_real_escape_string($password));

$sql=mysql_query($query);

So using mysql_real_escape_string() is enough ??Above code is quite safe enough?? or maybe you could alter something so that become safer??

You could replace:

$username=$_POST['username'];
$password=$_POST['password'];

With:

$username=get_magic_quotes_gpc() ? stripslashes($_POST['username']) : $_POST['username'];
$password=get_magic_quotes_gpc() ? stripslashes($_POST['password']) : $_POST['password'];

To make sure slashes have not already been added. Also, you forgot to put $ before your variable name for the "query" variable.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.