IE Display while loading...

ejaboneta

I have a page that needs to display thousands of rows from a database... paging isnt an option... In firefox, the page displays and lets the user interact with the page while its still downloading. In IE, the page takes a long time to load and freezes up which of course frustrates my users who use IE. Is there anyway to make IE work more like Firefox and not freeze up?

I dont know if this would help or not but what you could try is to break up the query. Either make 2 or 3 queries and pull the data separately or it could be something in your code. Can we see some code because unless you are making a query that is pulling TONS AND TONS of data it is usually really fast. Maybe you should see how long the query is actually taking to run. You can do that through phpmyadmin im pretty sure.

I don't think its the query. I think its when IE trys to render the 2000 row table that it slows down. In both IE and Firefox, the page starts to display the results. But IE freezes up until the whole page is able to be displayed. In Firefox, you can scroll down to the bottom of the table and see the rows being loaded.

The table contents amount to almost 1MB.

Ahh, it sounds like IE renders the whole table before the table is displayed.

What I would suggest then is breaking the results into 20 or 30 row tables. Set a particular class on these tables, and give them no top or bottom margin so that they all butt up against each other and appear to be one table. That way the tables will render one at a time as they are outputted.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.