Comments and recent activity

ThunderLee

Hi everyone,

I have a comments system on my website for files they upload (that I made) and I would like to ask anyone how I would make it so if someone makes a new comment on that file it would inform them..

I have made a panel on the homepage what tells the user recent things thats happend (New comments, recent activity of friends..) This is where I would like the new comments to be listed, if 3 new comments where to be made on a file I uploaded it would say on the homepage (New Comments: 3), I would click the 3 and the 3 files would load into a div that has new comments, when the user goes to the file the new comments go down to 0.. or something like that I hope someone understands me :P..

I was thinking something like when the user posts a comment it would put a 0 into the database and when you load the page up it would go to 1, I was thinking that but what if there was 2 new comments ? What would be the best way to do this??

Also I would like to ask what would be the best way to have a recent activity (Like recently uploaded, comments, friends... )?

I was thinking something like when the user posts a comment it would put a 0 into the database and when you load the page up it would go to 1, I was thinking that but what if there was 2 new comments ? What would be the best way to do this??

It's effectively a simple, one-way PM system, right? You want to send "messages" to a user when something happens and have them be notified of these "messages" until they've read them.

Its a comment system (Like youtube)

Here is what it looks like: http://www.mymediaupload.com/media.php?v=2

EDIT, What I want is when a user makes a new comment on the above music it would notify me in my Quick Panel (on the homepage) like it would say New Comments: (however many new comments) I would click this and it would like the music files with new comments.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.