active Chatroom/forum help

cswells

I am new to programming, but if i can find a tutorial i can figure most stuff out. What i want to do i cant quite find the resources i am looking for and i figure it will be a combination between 2 different things i quite know the name for.

(i know i will need Pagination of some sort)

What i want to do is set up a forum that works like a chat room, except the rooms would work like a fourm layout.

<General Topic>

<<more pacific>>

<<<the room title>>>

[chat room]

I am not sure whether to use MySQL database to handle this or some other type of database. because i plan to have the rooms removed after they have been inactive when all users have left the room.

i would also like the information to appear as the user is viewing it and not have to refresh.

would this have to be a java-applet? or could i get the same effects with php and javascript?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.