Trouble inserting data

lucy

Hi. I am trying to insert data into a table called CUSTOMER. This is all captured from a form. The input of this data goes into the CUSTOMER table, and the customer is assigned a 'cid' which is the primary key and auto incrementing.

I also insert data into the SERVICE table, which is yet again captured from the input of the same form.

The problem begins when i try to link the 'cid' (which has just been auto assigned to the customer), to the 'cid' in the SERVICE table.

Basically, i want to be able to show which services a customer has bought.

I have made 'cid' in the SERVICE table a foreign key, which references CUSTOMER(cid).

The only data that are showing in the 'cid' field of SERVICE is 0 in every entry, and not the correct 'cid' for the customer which has just made the purchase.

Any help will be readily accepted.

Thanks,

Lucy

It will return the autoincrement value of the last insert. So once you insert your record into customer you can use it like

insert into services NULL, last_insert_id(), whatever.........

However if you are going to be inserting multiple records into the next table you need to set a var = last_insert_id.  You can use php's mysql_insert_id() function to give you the id you just inserted into customer, set a variable to that value then use it in your other insert statements.

I put the following function in, as you said:

mysql_query("INSERT INTO customer ( title, name, housenumber, add1, add2, pc, email, tel) 
				 VALUES ('$_POST[title]','$_POST[customer_name]','$_POST[customer_house_number]','$_POST[customer_road_name]', '$_POST[customer_city]', '$_POST[customer_postcode]', '$_POST[email]', '$_POST[c_tel]' )") 
		or die('Error: ' . mysql_error());

mysql_query("INSERT INTO services (NULL, last_insert_id(), number_of_owners, owner_name, house_number, road_name, city, county, postcode, email, nature_of_work, month, year, uptoboundary, askpermission, underpin, description) 
				 VALUES ('$_POST[number_of_owners]', '$_POST[owner_name]', '$_POST[house_number]', '$_POST[road_name]', '$_POST[city]', '$_POST[county]', '$_POST[postcode]', '$_POST[email]', '$_POST[nature_of_work]', '$_POST[month]','$_POST[year]', '$_POST[boundry_with_neighbour]', '$_POST[ask_for_permission]','$_POST[underpin_foundations]', '$_POST[description_of_works]' )") 

but its threw me an error:

Error: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'NULL, last_insert_id(), number_of_owners, owner_name, house_number, road_name, c' at line 1

Does last_insert_id() simply return the last auto-incremented filed which was created, even if it was in a different table?

Thanks a lot,

Lucy

It returns the autoincrement id of the last insert that occured for the session.  your code should read

mysql_query("INSERT INTO customer ( title, name, housenumber, add1, add2, pc, email, tel)
                VALUES ('$_POST[title]','$_POST[customer_name]','$_POST[customer_house_number]','$_POST[customer_road_name]', '$_POST[customer_city]', '$_POST[customer_postcode]', '$_POST[email]', '$_POST[c_tel]' )")

mysql_query("INSERT INTO services (cid, number_of_owners, owner_name, house_number, road_name, city, county, postcode, email, nature_of_work, month, year, uptoboundary, askpermission, underpin, description)
                VALUES ( last_insert_id(),  '$_POST[number_of_owners]', '$_POST[owner_name]', '$_POST[house_number]', '$_POST[road_name]', '$_POST[city]', '$_POST[county]', '$_POST[postcode]', '$_POST[email]', '$_POST[nature_of_work]', '$_POST[month]','$_POST[year]', '$_POST[boundry_with_neighbour]', '$_POST[ask_for_permission]','$_POST[underpin_foundations]', '$_POST[description_of_works]' )")

Now a word of warning. You NEVER want to use $_POST in any sql statement.  Because you have no idea what the person submitting the form has sent you.

Thanks, that works a treat!

Do you suggest using get? would i simply replace post, for get?

I am running javascript validation (i know it can be turned off), as well as php validation to try ensure what the user is sending me is what i want.

Thanks for all the help :)

Lucy

No get is actually worse because you dont have to submit a form to send a get var.  You can continue to use post but I would perform checks on the post variables to verify they contain what you want. At the very least you should pass the variables into mysql_real_escape_string http://us3.php.net/mysql_real_escape_string

Thanks il look into it :)

Could i do something like this, to retain the cid, and the pid, which are both auto-incrementing primary keys:

$cid = mysql_insert_id();

mysql_query("INSERT INTO services(cid, number_of_owners, number_of_neighbours, directlyattached, special_circumstances, owner_name, house_number, road_name, city, county, postcode, email, nature_of_work, month, year, uptoboundary, askpermission, underpin, description)
                VALUES ( $cid,  '$_POST[number_of_owners]', '$_POST[no_of_neighbours]', '$_POST[neighbour_attached]', '$_POST[owner_name]', '$_POST[special_circumstance]','$_POST[house_number]', '$_POST[road_name]', '$_POST[city]', '$_POST[county]', '$_POST[postcode]', '$_POST[email]', '$_POST[nature_of_work]', '$_POST[month]','$_POST[year]', '$_POST[boundry_with_neighbour]', '$_POST[ask_for_permission]','$_POST[underpin_foundations]', '$_POST[description_of_works]' )")

$pid = mysql_insert_id();

N.B. They are both different values, so i would be expecting the cid of the latest customer, and the pid of the latest service.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.