Most important browsers to work on CSS?

c-o-d-e

The browsers you need to target are dependent on the group you are targeting. It's really different for each site. If you are rebuilding a site that already exists, see if it's got some analytics set up, and/or check the server logs to try to find out which browsers are being used the most. If its a new site, or you don't have any analytics logs, then you probably want to test for FF3.5, IE7 and IE8, and Safari4 at a minimum.

Personally I do:

IE 6-8

FF 2, 3, 3.5

Safari 3, 4

Chrome (current version is 2)

Opera 9.6, 10

And yes, it's possible to create one stylesheet that works for all, but not the easiest. First you will want to develop in a non-IE browser - I use Firefox. Then you will want to test the IEs starting at the bottom. Usually I start with IE6, and I adjust my stylesheet to work with IE6. It's not easy - IE6 is a pain in the butt. But if you make sure not to give side margins or paddings on anything with widths, and no top/bottom margins on anything with heights, that will cover most things.

After IE6, I work on IE7. Usually that doesn't take much, since the IE6 fixes cover that. And by that point, rarely I need to change anything for IE8.

Generally nothing else is needed for the rest of the browsers, but I check them anyways, as there is the occasional fix that is necessary. But anytime I find something that needs to be fixed, I go back to the start - FF, fix it there, then go back to IE6 and working my way through all the browsers again.

Ok, I did that test on my other thread for all browsers. Aint finished yet, although I can tell some of them have the detail in place, but missing a few bits. For some, all the images are there except like.. two.

I design in FF. It's only that I noticed something with I.E  6.0 or 7.0, that made me query about it all.

I use the latest browser for FF, which is 3.5, and using that with Gentoo 2008.0, doesn't show the banner.

I'm not sure what Gentoo etc are. Im guessing they are OS'.

Is there anything you could suggest to help me with the CSS for browsers and OS'

Thanks for the detailed post, gives me somewhere to start from.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.