Label Printing/Barcodes

-twenty

Hi all,

I'm currently in the process of developing a purchase order system for a local company. Basically, the application tracks purchase orders as they come in and the staff updates the order as the work progresses- fairly basic input/output system using PHP/MySQL.

I've come up with the idea of integrating labels to track each individual item. My initial idea was to use PDFLib to generate a specific sized PDF of all the pertinent order details, and then would be able to be printed directly from Acrobat. I've found a few libraries that allow the generating of barcodes as well- but I think I'm going to hold off on that part until the second release of the application.

What are your thoughts/inputs of generating barcodes this way? Have any of you done something similar like this before? Any input is greatly appreciate!

Cheers.

I personally prefer to just generate html templates for creating docs like, packing orders, cart notes, address labels etc etc as it doesn't require any third party software other than a browser and printer to use.

As for the bar codes there are many scripts to make them for you here is a php class for example,

http://www.phpclasses.org/browse/package/2176.html

Hope this helps :)

I personally prefer to just generate html templates for creating docs like, packing orders, cart notes, address labels etc etc as it doesn't require any third party software other than a browser and printer to use.

As for the bar codes there are many scripts to make them for you here is a php class for example,

http://www.phpclasses.org/browse/package/2176.html

Hope this helps :)

Cool- thanks for the info on generating bar codes.

I'm not sure if HTML templates is the direction I want to go with this, though I will keep it open as an option if I can't figure out a simple alternate. The idea is to use a label printer (3.5" x 2.0" or so), rather then getting two on an 8 1/2 x 11 page. Any single PO can easily have 20+ pieces, so paper itself isn't really the most economic way to do it I think.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.