Generate PDF

krystof78

Hi guys,

I would like to know if there is a way to generate pdf when clicking on a link. In fact, I would like to be able to click on a link and generate a pdf file with information from my database, say a profile of a client for example or an invoice.

I was able to generate a pdf using a basic tutorial. Here is the code:

<?php
$mypdf = PDF_new();
PDF_open_file($mypdf, "");
PDF_begin_page($mypdf, 595, 842);
$myfont = PDF_findfont($mypdf, "Times-Roman", "host", 0);
PDF_setfont($mypdf, $myfont, 10);
PDF_show_xy($mypdf, "Sample PDF, constructed by PHP in real-time.", 50, 750);
PDF_show_xy($mypdf, "Made with the PDF libraries for PHP.", 50, 730);
PDF_end_page($mypdf);
PDF_close($mypdf);

$mybuf = PDF_get_buffer($mypdf);
$mylen = strlen($mybuf);
header("Content-type: application/pdf");
header("Content-Length: $mylen");
header("Content-Disposition: inline; filename=gen01.pdf");
print $mybuf;

PDF_delete($mypdf);
?>

But

1) it's seems to be pretty hard to have something that looks nice if I have to specify each item it location with X and Y

2) I have in the middle of the page: www.pdflib.com. I guess I have to pay for a licence to get rid of that but I went to the website and it's kind of expensive for me.

Do you know how an easier way to generate a pdf from my website and without having this "www.pdflib.com"? Is there another script out there or another lib?

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,

Chris

I can vouch for FPDF - a pleasure to work with!

The documentation does a great job of explaining it, though you'll have to put your mind into "graph" mode as the layout usually involves setting an X/Y Coordinate and then having the library do what you need it to do.

FPDF might not be the best choice. It's pretty outdated right now, does not support Unicode, not really easy to add functionality.

I agree though that it does it's job well (I use it myself in one of my projects).

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.