Forum structure brainstorming, all welcome

sangoku

Hy I am currently at the planing stage of a forum which I am making for my diploma work, and i intend to use it later on and expand.

I am having a bit of trouble to figure out the structure of some parts of a forum so i wondered if you guys can give me some theoretical advise in it.

The topic in discussion are :

1. Which table engine i should use INOODB or some other for the structure.

=> + The good I need the high read/write/edit rate it provides and the on update cascade has it neat features to like spearing me of coding and above all valuable IO time betwen the mysql and the php engine.

=> - The bad I INOODB engine duos not have the vale of rows in it so some statical data would have to be added to the archive and would have to be updated which increases the workload and as i know the access and over all performance is far bather in the standard BD, but updating would be pretty problematic.

2. How should i realize the structure of the topic -> posts -> attachment problem

=>? A possible way:

The structure it self is pretty clear topic -> posts structure is pretty straight forward topic as starting point list with OFFSET and limit create pagination. the topic -> posts structure is simple to just to link them.

the problem:

How should i handle the attachments and other stuff like the attachments and other stuff i want add to a post the querys are bound to create a bunch of reads in the DB and only for viewing!!! like take one sample:

15 posts in a side of a topic-> 15 read req for the topic table => which results in:

15 read req in the user table (30 reads) => lats say that those posts all have attachments in them = :?

15 rads in the attachment table(45 reads)=> results in the 15 thumbnail detail table read (60 reads) =>

get the point? 60 reads! for one page to load!

one assistant on my university brought me to the idea:

Why not create a hash row in user table which stores all data which are relevant for it ??

=> + The good Only 15 reads per page

=> - The bad Disturbs the DB normalization principles all in one giant shot.

??Any Ideas on this one??

3. How do i create the navigation menu which is on this frum made on the adobe hi a pixel principle(joke)?

A big no idea for it for now all suggestions are open pls tell me how :rofl:

4. Should i implement a group policy in it or shall i only use the user level aces ????

=> + The good No idea, guess easy administration

=> -The bad performance,,, additional stupid toilet clogging stuff....

5. How should i implement the user messages in user table or together with posts or separately?

:?: which options should messages have>>>??? open for suggestions.

6. How the hell should i realize administrator assignment?

:P:-* :'( :confused: I dont have a clue yet......

?-> How to assign a post or more of them to a admin >.<`

?-> How to regulate the read/aces/write property's of users/admins?

7. How to implement the search option in a forum?

all opinions are welcome.

most useful would be performance and structure ideas XD

And that is all fouks

Any comment at all is welcome on any of above given points for consderation, all are welcome even if they are like are you nuts?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.