PHP profile

mattheww

I'm trying to make a user profile system, but I'm not sure how to make it so they can edit their information...

I have given the section of code which is supposed to update the table which stores the information, but it doesn't work, and I'm not sure where I'm going wrong!  :confused: Is there a better/easier way to do this?

<?php
if ($_POST['submit'])
{
  $fname = strip_tags($_POST['fname']);
  $lname = strip_tags($_POST['lname']);
  $location = strip_tags($_POST['location']);
  $bday = strip_tags($_POST['dob']);
  $about = strip_tags($_POST['about']);
  $favgames = strip_tags($_POST['favgames']);

include('connect.php');

$queryget = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM users WHERE username='$user'") or die ("Failed to find user details");
    $row = mysql_fetch_assoc($queryget);

$querychange = mysql_query ("UPDATE users
    SET fname='$fname', lname='$lname', SET location='$location', SET dob='$bday', SET about='$about', SET favgames='$favgames'
    WHERE username='$user'");}
?>

Is there a better/easier way to do this?

Never ask if their is a better or easier way of doing something because their always most likely is (this is especially true for people balancing between novice and intermediate)

It could be something like:

// this example however misses proper validation plus testing
$user = $userTable->find($request->getParameter('id'));
$form = new UserForm();
$form->populate($user);
if ($request->isPost() && $form->isValid($request->getPost())) {
    $user->updateUserData($form->getValues()); // validate, filter & assign data
    $user->save(); // update row
}
$view->form = $form;

You may also notice that this example has 2 states: retrieving the data and storing the data you could separate this process so you would only query the db 2 times instead of 3 times like it is now.

Now back to your original question, the solution lies within your UPDATE satement which is incorrect and should have been:

$querychange = mysql_query ("UPDATE users
    SET fname='$fname', lname='$lname', location='$location', dob='$bday', about='$about', favgames='$favgames'
    WHERE username='$user'");

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.