I want to create an Access like interface

aeroswat

I want to be able to create an access like interface where I have textboxes and drop down boxes on the screen that are able to be typed into and then the results are displayed through the same thing. So say you have a database with 6 text fields in it and you want to search by field 3. You would type in a string in textbox 3 and click the search button. It would then store the resulting rows in an array and display the first one in the text/drop down boxes. From there you could press a forward button or backward button to cycle through the rows just like you would in access. Has this been done many times before? Is there a tutorial on going about what I want to accomplish out there or can anyone help me get started please? :)

You'll need JavaScript and Ajax to achieve the dynamic modification. Because access works with multiple databases you'll also need PDO or ODBC on the server side. JSON or XML for communication between client and server. Because today most JS libraries incorporate Design Patterns (UI) like on YDN(1) you will be able to create a rather complex UI quite easily. Adding the appropriate functionality (js user functions) creates your Access clone.

Happy Coding ;)

1. http://developer.yahoo.com/ypatterns/

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.