First time php admin, quick ques. what is VC6/9 Thread/NonThread? Thats all.

Decided to download 5.3.1 for Windows, what is the difference between VC9 and VC6, and also the threading safe and non threading safe versions of each? First time doing a website, bought a nice xml w/html flash template, the contacts module requires PHP server. Im using Win7 Ultimate IIS7.0 Q9450 processor. I would like to know if the threading safe things have anything to do with multiple cores however, as my single core netbook may end up being the webserver, that would be an XP home machine.

PS - Im going to school soon maybe for web development, and I am wanting to learn some programming even if i end up going for electrical design instead, is PHP the best to learn over  asp, visual studio 2010 , #, .net, java, etc..  I plan on learning xml, and flash w/ actionscript so far. Silverlight sounds intruquing, I know SQL/XML is a good one for finding work. What would be your all choice for a third language to learn? Will any kind of C help me with web dev/SQL stuff in addition to XML?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.