Loading XML Feeds..

Scooby08

I'm looking for any ideas as to how one would load large xml files, from an external url, and display the contents in the quickest fashion.. Right now I'm loading using "simplexml_load_file" and it takes about 12 seconds to load the file, which is far too long..

Would anybody out there have any ideas on faster loading for this situation?? Any ideas are appreciated.. Doesn't even have to be a php solution.. I just have no idea what to look for to get this to load fast..

I did copy the file locally and it loads super fast.. Maybe there's a way to read that external xml file and save it locally and then I could just read that one.. But then again I have no idea how to set that up as well..

Thanks for any replies..

A lot of how fast you can read something depends on the connection to the server/server's connection to the other server. Saving locally would make loading it fastest, but loading a large file from another server is gonna take a bit of time regardless. You may be able to speed it up a little with AJAX, but beyond that, I'm not sure of any way to speed it up much.

Ok thank you mikesta707..

I'm actually trying to load an xml file that contains live sports feeds, so if anybody out there knows how these guys with sports betting sites load their scores and lines so fast please do leave a reply as to how I could do so..

Thanks guys..

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.