Disabled exec :(

bomb

Hey everyone, first post here, don't really know much about php but anyway here goes.

I have a script that uses the exec function, and my host refuses to enable it. I tried passthru and it is still disabled

I tried putting

Action php-script /interpreters/php-script
AddHandler php-script .php AddHandler php-script .php3

In my .htaccess file, the error while using the script goes, but it still wont execute. My host is telling me "there are other functions as alternatives to the dangerous exec function" but I can't seem to find any.

Is there a way I can edit and use this script?

Thanks, bomb.

If they've disabled this, then you won't allow you to run any of the commands that allow php to execute os programs, so there's no workaround.  You are stuck using whatever internals, builtins and extensions that were included by your hosting company.  Since we don't know what the script in question does, there's no way to advise you of an alternative approach to accomplish the same thing, although there might be one.

Thankyou for your clear reply :)

<?
  require 'includes/configsexec.inc.php';//called instead of configs.inc.php to prevent overlap of functions
  require 'includes/mconfig.php';
  $status = 0;

for($i=0;$i<count($mrr_1);$i++)
  { 
  $mrr=strtolower($mcon[$mrr_1[$i]][1]);
  $mrr_r=$mrr.'remote';
  $mrr_p=$mcon[$mrr_1[$i]][2];

if ((isset ($_POST_DATA[$mrr]) OR isset ($_POST[$mrr_r])))
    {
    exec ('' . $php_path . ' -c ' . $config_ini . ' ' . $mrr_p .' ' . $file_uid . ' ' . $status . ' >/dev/null &');
    }

}

?>

There is the code :) Is there another way to do that?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.