Check against local windows accounts

lolcat

What way is there to see if a provided username and password credentials matches a local windows login on which the server is running?

Background: We have a web service which uses Integrated Windows authentication to authenticate the users. But the Browser-Provided Login-Window sucks, so I'd like to replace it with a nice customized html login page.

Now I don't want to save the usernames/passwords in a mysql-DB or textfile, but rather use the already existing windows accounts to check if the password is correct (they are used for other services, too, so I'd be glad if I only have to change passwords in one place only).

Any guesses?

(This has nothing to do with domains or AD or anything, these are just local windows accounts.)

for instance, I could not find a way to spawn a process in php using different seucrity credentials, as a way to see if they were correct.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.