Do you still use MIN/MAX-WIDTH and MIN/MAX-HEIGHT

arundathi

Title is wrong , correct one should be :

Do you use MIN/MAX-WIDTH and MIN/MAX-HEIGHT ??

I am building a liquid layout with percentage and wonder if I have to use MIN/MAX-WIDTH and MIN/MAX-HEIGHT , knowing that IE 6 and earlier versions do not support it.

Do you use them ?

Is there any rule available to avoid the bug ?

minimum widths/heights are usually used to prevent a layout from squeezing to the point where it breaks. Maximum widths are usually used for preventing a site from getting overly stretched out on wide-screens.

These selectors themselves don't work in IE6, but you can still make min and max sizes work in IE6. See this article for more info: http://javascript.about.com/library/blwidth.htm

• 2 weeks later...

Yes Arundathi I still use those. You can avoid the bug by adding an empty(but with an  ) div with a fixed size(e.g. 150px) to the container which has a min width/height and set the container to 100%. The container will be 100% or 150px(which ever is larger). For the maximum width/height there will probably be a similar solution but I never use max, I use just fixed sizes for that.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.