Transcribe MySQL fields with PHP

phs2911

Okay, maybe it's late but I'm scratching my head over this one.  I have a MySQL table that has data like this:

prior_status    current_status

inactive                      active

inactive                      inactive

inactive                      inactive

I'm trying to figure a way to transcribe the columns (from current_status TO prior_status) using PHP.  In other words, I want to replace the "prior_status" with whatever the "current_status" is, so I can then change all the "current_status" entries to inactive and thus have a club membership status history.  I'm sorta at a loss here, for several reasons:

1. I'm not sure how many db entries I could have.  I could have just 5 lines, or I could have 50.  I'd like the PHP code to loop until it finds no more db entries.

2.  I know how to SELECT or UPDATE an entry, but it seems here that I need to do both simultaneously.  Can I do that, or do I need some sort of array?

I successfully did this a few years back, but I misplaced that file, and I can't for the life of me remember how I did it.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks for the solution, Keith!!  I need to do it in a php loop because I'm crazy and didn't see the obvious simple solution. Like when you temporarily can't recall your wife's name after being married for 8 years. What?  That only happens to me?!  Thanks again!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.