Which direction to go down

mykmallett

I am currently building a website for djs to host mixes. I have coded the registration form and then had coded the registration to create a table in the database with the name media(followed by whatever the users user_id was). This table would then hold all the information for the mixes, each user would then obviously have one.

Now it works perfectly...however, I just had a little crisis that tells me that maybe I shouldnt be giving the website the level of previliges to create a table. Maybe I should just have one table with all the mixes in (could get very large).

Am I being paranoid? Which option do you guys recommend?

Creating lots of tables is going to be a nightmare if you want to do searches. One table, albeit very large, is much more efficient. In terms of security it probably isn't that big a deal to give your app the ability to create tables, so long as you sanatize all user data that is sent to the database. In any case, forget the multiple tables and use one, though you may want to divide it up into different tables, such as djs (details about the dj), music (details about the music), files (details about the music files), rel_djs_music (relationship between djs and music), rel_music_files (relationship between the music info and the audio files).

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.