UNION query problem - returning incorrect record

ianh

For some reason my UNION select query doesn't seem to return the next record.

I have 3 records with the same 'category', 'status', yet the 'right_column' is different.

id 3015  category_id 2  status 1  right_column 0

id 3021  category_id 2  status 1  right_column 1

id 3023  category_id 2  status 1  right_column 0

I want to select 2 records; the current record (3015) and the next highest record from 3015 which should be 3021, however it is returning 3023 ?? It's driving me insane.

Ideas anyone?

Thanks in advance.

(SELECT id, title, abstract, body, status, right_column FROM Articles WHERE category_id = 2 AND id = 3015 AND status = 1)
UNION (SELECT id, title, abstract, body, status, right_column FROM Articles WHERE category_id = 2 AND id > 3015 AND status = 1 AND right_column = 1 ORDER BY id ASC LIMIT 1) ORDER BY right_column ASC

Hi

Put inverted commas around the value for right_column in the 2nd part of your query.

That fixes it but not sure why. Only thing I can think of is that using a number forces it to pick that number of the ENUM rather than the one with that value.

All the best

Keith

Hi

Put inverted commas around the value for right_column in the 2nd part of your query.

That fixes it but not sure why. Only thing I can think of is that using a number forces it to pick that number of the ENUM rather than the one with that value.

All the best

Keith

Works perfectly! Thanks mate  :)

Strange about the inverted commas. Perhaps it is something to do with whe there are a number of ANDs in a UNION statement?

Corrected/working code:

(SELECT id, title, abstract, body, status, right_column FROM Articles WHERE category_id = 2 AND id = 3015 AND status = 1)
UNION (SELECT id, title, abstract, body, status, right_column FROM Articles WHERE category_id = 2 AND id > 3015 AND status = 1 AND right_column = "1" ORDER BY id ASC LIMIT 1) ORDER BY right_column ASC

Strange about the inverted commas. Perhaps it is something to do with whe there are a number of ANDs in a UNION statement?

Fairly certain not.

Think the ENUM of right_column is treated by MySQL as an array starting at 1. If you refer to '1' you are referring to the value '1' while if you refer to 1 you get the first possible value of the enum (which happens to be 0).

If you have a play with a select and refer to right_column = 2 you will find it will bring back columns where the value of right_column is 1 (ie, the 2nd possible value).

All the best

Keith

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.