inner join SUM

dee19802000

Hey I am having some difficulty trying to get an inner join to sum a column

SELECT quotes.quote_id, quotes.m_id, quotes.author, quotes.date_now, quotes.valid_date, quotes.comment, quotes.m_comment, quotes.reference, quotes_det.id_q, quotes_det.q_id, quotes_det.item_code, quotes_det.quantity, quotes_det.quote, quotes_det.active, SUM(quotes_det.quote) FROM (quotes LEFT JOIN quotes_det ON quotes_det.q_id=quotes.quote_id) WHERE quotes. m_id=%s GROUP BY quotes.reference

i keep getting 0 as my returned result.  What do i need o do to get the correct result?

Damain

Hi

Not sure why you are getting 0, but you can't really use a SUM like that. You are grouping on a single column yet you are bringing back the details from multiple columns which are from different rows of the same table on which you are summing the column. MySQL will give you random row details (most flavours of SQL would just give you an error).

All the best

Keith

Hi

Realistically something like this (note, not sure if quotes.m_id will be constant for a reference, if so you can take out the where from the subselect):-

SELECT quotes.quote_id, quotes.m_id, quotes.author, quotes.date_now, quotes.valid_date, quotes.comment, quotes.m_comment, quotes.reference, quotes_det.id_q, quotes_det.q_id, quotes_det.item_code, quotes_det.quantity, quotes_det.quote, quotes_det.active, quoteSum.SumOfQuotes
FROM quotes 
LEFT JOIN quotes_det 
ON quotes_det.q_id=quotes.quote_id 
LEFT JOIN (SELECT z.reference, SUM(y.quote) AS SumOfQuotes FROM quotes z LEFT JOIN quotes_det y ON y.q_id = z.quote_id WHERE quotes.m_id=%s  GROUP BY z.reference) quoteSum
ON quotes.reference = quoteSum.reference
WHERE quotes.m_id=%s 

Basically have a subselect to get all the sums of quotes per reference and then JOIN that with the results from the tables which get the rest of the fields.

All the best

Keith

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.