Problem to update specific column

syafia

hye!

Im a newbie in MySQL and Php, i got a problem to update column in db. Here is the issue:

i have 2 tables named 'apply' and 'balance'.

Table: apply

userId

leaveType

daysApply

Annual

Medical

Table: balance

userId

Annual

Medical

When user apply for leave, the system will deduct the value from table:balance based on apply.leaveType = balance.@column name. My problem is i dont know how to update the column value based on the apply.leaveType value from other table.

i try to do this but it doesnt make sense:

$result=mysql_query(UPDATE `balance`, `apply` SET `balance.Annual`=`balance.Annual`-`apply.daysApply`, `balance.Medical`=`balance.Medical`-`apply.daysApply` WHERE `balance.Annual`=`apply.leaveType` AND `balance.Medical`=`apply.leaveType` AND `balance.userId`=`apply.userId`);

Hope someone can help me. Any helps are appreciated.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Hello there buddy :)

firstly, you should think about what information you will have ALREADY before php does any work.. if you're going to set up a 'leave' for some user, you're going to NEED 3 values anyway, userId, leaveType, daysApply

we also know leaveType will always be Annual or Medical, right? so we can simply use that data to proceed..

INSERT INTO apply (userId,leaveType,daysApply) VALUES ($userId,$leaveType,$daysApply); UPDATE balance SET $leaveType = $leaveType - $daysApply WHERE userId = $userId;

voila!

if you've got dynamic column name adjustments to make, it's usually a sign that your data isn't optimally structured. a better table structure for this sort of data is to have a balance table that echoes the apply table:

userId
leaveType
remainingBalance

this will give each user (at the moment) two rows, but that's okay. the query to update it would be as simple as:

UPDATE balance SET remainingBalance = remainingBalance - $daysApply WHERE userId='$userId' AND leaveType='$leaveType'

this also leaves room for future leaveTypes to be added without interfering with the current data or adjusting the table structure - you merely need to add a row for each user for the given leaveType.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.