Preg_replace help

MuseiKaze

Hi there, im writing part of a code to replace certain parts of a string in a csv file.

For example:

I want something like this

Product Name|Product ID|Price

to look like this

Product Name","Product ID","Price

Ive tried using preg_replace and ereg_replace but I cant seem to get either of them to work.

$replace = preg_replace("#|#","\",\"", $content);

This is what I have so far, but this just adds "," between each letter. Could someone please explain the correct way which I can do this?

Thanks heaps

The reason you're getting that result is because | in regular expressions means the literal "or". So you'd need to escape that character ( #\|# ).

But in this specific case I wouldn't suggest using regex. PCRE functions consume a lot of memory and should be avoided when possible. Unless you need match complex patterns you should find an alternative. In your case you can just use str_replace

$replace = str_replace('|', '","', $content);

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.