Exporting new records

clay1

Trying to figure out the best way to set this up.

People register my site.

Their profile has the date they registered.

I've got another table called 'markets' which has some information that is specific to various cities that the people who register are in.

One of the columns in markets is a toggle to determine whether that market should be exported

ie: Austin - export: 1

Boston -export: 0

My goal is to grab all of the new profiles for all markets where export = 1

I added a datetime field to the markets table.

I'm confused how to proceed however though

I was originally thinking grab the datetime from markets and select the stuff that is newer than that, then remembered I am dealing with more than 1 market.

Then I thought 'well just have a table that stores the last export date and select the newer stuff than that' but I wasn't sure if that would work either.

Advice?

Added: This is using mysql

i take it your definition of "new" is simply "new registrations since last export"? if that's the case, then your best bet is indeed to have a `last_exported` column in your markets table with the format DATETIME and update it each time that market's users have been exported. then it's simply a matter of selecting WHERE `date_registered` > `last_exported`.

i'm not sure how you intend to run these exports, or what the `export` column's specific significance is (ie. does it mean "export on the next script run," or "export everytime the script runs").

Thanks for the reply.

It does mean 'export every time the script is run'. There are 30 markets but only 8 of them are being used right now so to say.

Right now I have this and it is dumping to an excel file the way I want:

$result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM markets WHERE export=1 ORDER BY market", $recipes) 
or die(mysql_error()); 

$num = mysql_num_rows($result);
if($num == 0){
exit;
}

while ($row1 = mysql_fetch_assoc($result)) {
$result2 = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM free_for_all_payment WHERE market='{$row1['market']}' and age>= '{$row1['minage']}' and income>='{$row1['minincome']}' ORDER BY market", $recipes)
or die(mysql_error());

while ($row = mysql_fetch_array($result2)) {

DO EXCEL STUFF

}
}

Do I just need to add

mysql_query("UPDATE markets SET lasteexport = now()");

before the double braces at the end?

actually, you would add it at the end - you don't want to update the lastexported column until the export has actually completed (which isn't until after those two closing braces). you may also want to adjust the query to only update the lastexported column for the markets with an export value of 1.

don't forget to adjust the SELECT query for the users to include the lastexported value - remember, you only want to select users that have registered since the date/time in that column.

Actually, obviously I would need to change the select statements and add something like regdate > lastexport

My dilemma is with regdate being a date field is there the potential for orphaned records not being exported?

So someone signs up an hour after the script is last run for example. Their regdate will be the same date is the last export-- will they not be exported the next time it is run?

if you want greater than single-day resolution in the operations, you will need to change the user's registration date columns to a DATETIME format. in order to try to avoid orphaning, you may want to add a padding (say, maybe 5 minutes' worth) for the time it takes to actually run the excel export as well.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.